Click below to see the job description:
The Technology Coordinator and Teacher will work with the Site Director to plan and implement youth and adult computer classes in Brasilito or Potrero, will help with administrative tasks related to technology (website, social media, etc.) and will work with the English Teacher to implement other extracurricular activities for children. The technology classes are taught in Spanish with a focus on Spanish literacy in younger grades and basic computer literacy in older grades. The Computer Instructor will work closely with the English Teacher and the local team of volunteers to carry out other youth education activities, including art classes, sports and special events. The ideal candidate for this position is a an experienced teacher who takes initiative and pride in doing their job well; has experience with and a love of working with children who have learning and behaviour challenges; and is someone with strong classroom management skills, a positive and creative approach to learning and endless patience and adaptability. A knowledge of Windows, MS Office and Google Chrome is important, and a basic knowledge of the following is an asset: virtual machines, Ubuntu, 3D printing, Scratch and educational software/web platforms.
- Plan and teach technology classes to children, youth and adults in the community (classes are taught Monday-Friday afternoons, and 1-2 evenings per week. Some weekend activities are required).
- Help with organizational website maintenance, social media, and other tech related tasks assigned by the Country Director
- Collaborate with the English Teacher to plan at least one extracurricular activity for children per month (some evening and weekend activities may be required).
- Participate in all ‘Fun Friday’, ‘Reading Time’, and ‘Homework Help’ activities with the other Abriendo Mentes volunteers.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Provide ongoing technology support to AM staff and volunteers (optional).
- Supervise classroom assistants when necessary.
- Maintain a clean, organized, and safe office space and computer classroom.
- Complete other tasks as agreed upon with the Site Director and Country Director.
- Minimum commitment of at least 6 months (including a 3 month probationary period). Preference will be given to those who can commit to longer.
- Native or fluent Spanish speaker and minimum intermediate English speaking skills (Classes are taught in Spanish).
- Experience with trauma informed education an asset.
- Experience living or working abroad in a rural community, preferably in Latin America.
- Experience teaching and working with children.
- Experience working in IT preferred, although not a requirement.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Ability to work well with others and alone.
- Classroom management strategies.
- Creative and resourceful.
- Adaptable and flexible.
- Approachable and personable.
- Organized and reliable.
- Strong work ethic.
- Positive attitude.
- Excellent communications (both oral and written).
- Detail oriented.
- Technology early adopter.
- Previous experience with technology education preferred.
- Adapting technology to community needs.
- Living and working in a rural, isolated town with limited resources.
- Working with another culture in a bilingual setting.
- Managing different needs and abilities of students.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL BE
- Creative and resourceful – able to work in a rural environment with limited resources.
- Adaptable and flexible – demonstrate the ability to respond to frequently changing needs of the organization and community.
- Approachable and personable – able to build effective relationships with the AM team and local people in order to integrate into our small rural community.
- Organized and reliable – manage your time effectively, efficiently use AM resources, participate in AM meetings and events, and deliver on your responsibilities as discussed with the Site Director and Country Director.
- Able to commit 15-20 hours a week to this position (including teaching hours), and be flexible to ad hoc evening or weekend activities a few times a year.
Brasilito Site Director or Potrero Site Director
Brasilito or Playa Potrero, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
We are looking for Teachnology Coordinator and Computer Teachers to join our team in 2019. Please click "Apply Now" to learn more.
Housing included plus a $300/month living stipend.